To celebrate her 19th birthday, my daughter and I had tea at the Sanderson Hotel in Fitrovia.
What I liked most:
- Such a wonderful and playful sense of whimsy in the presentation and serving of tea.
- Details, details, details! The tea pots had crowns, the sponge cake bore the face of a clock, sugar cubes were kept in a musical box complete with a ballerina doll, and the menu slipped between pages of a story book.
- The vegetarian menu was inventive. There was a free flow of tea, hot drinks and sandwiches.
- Service was excellent and informative.
- We were given a nice table by the courtyard. There was outdoor heating, and it did have the fleeting feel of a hidden secret, offering relief from Oxford Street.
Wasn’t crazy about:
- The architecture, decor and styling of the hotel. So much thought was put into the presentation and experience of tea, that the building housing tea was for me, a let down. The poor hotel had the look of a fashion victim, caught wearing all of last season’s ‘It’ labels and unfortunate trends.
Sanderson Hotel Mad Hatter’s Afternoon Tea, 50 Berners Street, 020 7300 1400